Turkish earthquake rabbles My joy online
International

Qatar Donates World Cup Mobile Homes To Earthquake Survivors

Qatar donates relief supplies to Turkish and Syrian earthquakes survivors

Isaac Osei-Brobbey

Qatar plans to send 10,000 cabins and caravans from last year’s World Cup to provide shelter for survivors of the Turkish earthquakes, officials said.

The gas-rich Gulf nation said it had always planned to donate the mobile homes. They were needed to help house some of the 1.4 million fans who descended on the small country during soccer’s biggest tournament.

An initial batch of 350 structures was shipped out on Sunday, the Qatar Fund for Development said.

The 7.8 and 7.5 earth quake magnitudes that struck on February 6, killed more than 35,000 people in southeastern Turkey and war-torn northern Syria. The toll is expected to climb even further as search and rescue teams find more bodies.

Tens of thousands of buildings were destroyed or severely damaged, leaving millions homeless.

As shelters filled up in the days after the quake, many were forced to sleep outside in wet, winter weather.

Qatar and other wealthy Gulf countries have joined the global effort to send rescuers and aid to the stricken region. The United Arab Emirates has pledged $100 million for relief efforts.

Saudi Arabia has dispatched eight aircraft loaded with essential supplies to Turkey and Syria.

The eighth Saudi flight landed in government-held Aleppo, in Northern Syria, on Tuesday. Saudi Arabia was a strong supporter of the opposition forces at the height of the Syria’s civil war and unlike other Arab countries, has shown little interest in any rapprochement with President Bashar Assad.

Powering Nigeria: Why Esanland Matters for Energy Distribution

Wike Hosts Suspended Rivers Lawmakers in UK Amid Training

Suspected Thugs Attack Labour Party Secretariat in Lagos

FG Investigates Koton Karfe Prison Break

Tinubu Commends Jonathan on Winning Sunhak Peace Prize