
The funeral plans for South African rapper Kiernan "AKA" Forbes have been made public by the artist's family.
On February 10th, AKA was killed in a drive-by shooting on Florida Road.
On Tuesday, February 14, his family posted a press statement with information on his memorial and funeral on his Instagram profile.
The statement includes information about Kiernan "Aka" Jarryd Forbes' memorial and funeral.
“We as the Forbes family, would like to acknowledge the outpouring of love we have received over the past few days. Kiernan wasn’t just loved by us as a family, but by the nation, as we’ve seen from loved ones, friends, industry colleagues, media tributes and the legacy.
“It is our wish to celebrate the life of Kiernan with those he touched and impacted through his gift of music. His memorial will therefore be open to the public as well as streamed online.
“Kiernan will be laid to rest in a private provincial funeral on Saturday, 18 February 2023. Memorial details include, Date: Friday, 17 February 2023, Time: 15:00 Location: Santon Convention Center.
South African police say evidence gathered so far leads them to believe the killing of popular rapper AKA was an assassination.
KwaZulu-Natal police Chief Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi said the gunman had approached AKA from behind and shot him at close range in the side of the head.
A second gunman then started firing to deter onlookers from responding to the “hit”, he added.
One of these rounds killed AKA’s friend, celebrity chef Tibz Motsoane.
The shooting occurred outside a restaurant in the coastal city of Durban on Friday night.
While police work to establish a full picture of what happened to AKA, whose real name was Kiernan Forbes, his father has asked people to stop speculating on social media.
Tony Forbes says the family are focusing on giving their son “a dignified send-off”, and he has thanked the many well-wishers whose support is “making it easier to cope”.
He has also paid tribute to Motsoane, saying he was “like a brother” to AKA.